Sometime a few months ago, our good friend Gil asked us to join his marathon relay team for the Corpus Christi Beach to Bay Marathon Relay, an offer we accepted. After a few weeks of training, the hubby and I both realized we were either under the influence of alcohol when we accepted the invitation or just plain out of our minds. Either way, there was no way out of it... we were destined to run this marathon relay. Halfway through the training, the hubby really injured his ankle and had to pause the running until the day of the event. Still, I continued with my training --- almost never pleasing our team lead Gil with my 3.8 mile times of 36 minutes.
Part of our training included the 5K Autism Awareness Run and the 5K March of Dimes Walk/Run. We had fun participating in these good causes and got the feel of what it's like to run alongside and behind so many people. However, the weather wasn't quite accurate for what was to come for our CC Beach to Bay Marathon Relay...
The morning of the main event... 6:00am and I was kissing my love goodbye so we could part our ways and report to our stations. My 2 hour wait alongside Ocean Drive was brutal as I, along with a couple hundred other marathon relay runners in the 4th leg, waited in the pouring rain and cold winds, trying to keep warm with shivering giggles thrown at any and every opportunity to focus all our thoughts away from the pain. Once I began my run, I felt numb all over. Still I ended my leg in 32 minutes and was so proud of my time! Carlos ran a solid 4.3 miles for his leg (3rd) on his injured ankle and was still able to maintain his course. We placed 426th out of over 2,300 teams with a time of 4 hours 1 minute! In spite of the awful weather, we had a great time and are thinking about doing this next year.... "thinking!" :)
Our Team - "Training Like Rock"
(I don't know, Gil came up with it!)
I also just recently completed a major accomplishment in the Rehab world... I survived the Crisis Intervention course! This 3 week, daily depressing course was just that... depressing! Everyday, it was something new, something sad, something grim. But this is Rehab. This is what it's all about sometimes. I feel so much more prepared to take on my career in the future after having taken this class. I am completely grateful for what I've carried on from this miniterm (which is so stressful when you're working a full-time job and trying to juggle time between homework and quality family time.) Part of the course involved our expression of the crises in our lives and I'm actually quite proud of my work... you interpret as you please, but only I know what these expressions are about. I didn't realize how much I'd enjoy this course and how much I'd get out of it -- my life is forever changed because of this course and our professor, Dr. GrafIn happier news, we've just learned of my brother's & sister-in-law's recent decision to move to the Valley to be closer to our family! So now, as summer is here, we are ready to assist them in whatever it takes to make this transition a much faster one (since we're so anxious) and we look forward to their arrival and permanent company! :) Alas, our family will be complete with them here!










0 comments :
Post a Comment