Monday, November 12, 2012

My little anchors

Sons are the anchors of a mother's life. - Sophocles
 
Sons... my sons... my blessings.  Carlos and I have been so blessed time and again, but nothing compares to seeing our little ones grow and go through little developmental milestones.  You learn to appreciate their every single little breath, little move, little expression, especially when you work in an environment where you see these tiny details begin from 22 weeks gestation... especially when you have held a grieving mother in your arms because her baby doesn't make it home. What I know for sure is that I hold my boys extra tight every day and thank God for the blessings he has bestowed upon us. I cherish every little moment we have with them... for these little boys are my life and my world.
 
Life in the NICU... ah sweet life in the NICU.  It is so unbelievably difficult to be a part of this NICU world.  As beautiful and fascinating as these little miracle babies are, as wonderful and powerful it is to see them grow from 22-23 weeks gestation, it is still rough.  This month is World Prematurity Awareness month, and I honor it by knowing my facts and spreading the word, helping others become aware of how fragile premature life is.  And now I share them with you:

  • More newborn die from prematurebirth than from any other cost.
  • In the United States, 1 in 8 babies is born prematurely.
  • Worldwide, 15 million babies are born too soon each year.
  • Every year, nearly half a million babies are born too soon in the United States.
  • Our country’s premature birth rate has risen by 36 percent over the last 25 years.
  • Premature birth costs society more than $26 billion a year and takes a high toll on families. 

0 comments :